By: McKenzie Fox, Conservation Program Assistant
- 1 ½ cup shortening/suet
- ¾ cups nut butter
- 3 ½ cups wild bird seed
- 1 cup quick oats
- ½ cup corn meal (or oats, bread crumbs, etc.)
Instructions (see the pictures above):
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the shortening/suet and nut butter in a microwavable bowl and melt. Alternatively, you can also melt it in a pan on the stove.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir.
- Put the mixture in a container, such as an ice cube tray, a pan, etc. I used a square pan and put wax paper in it to make it easier to take out. Another good option would be to use an old suet cake container.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours.
I cut the recipe in 1/3 and it made a suet cake about the size of one you would buy. I learned that the squirrels also love this recipe so place it out of reach to them if desired. Happy National Bird Feeding Month!