Most Antrim County lands are open to hunting including parts of Glacial Hills and Grass River Natural Area, as well as Antrim Creek Natural Area, Mohrmann Park, and Cedar River Natural Area. State Forest Lands and State Wildlife/Game Areas are also open to hunting. Precaution should be taken when in these areas, especially during firearm dear season, which runs from Nov. 15 – 30, 2019.
This is a great time for reminders of year-round safety tips for recreation in the woods as well:
- Recreate with a friend (Or two! Or three!).
- Stay on the trail.
- Share your plans with a friend or family member (where you are going and when you expect to return).
- Dress appropriately to the weather/season and the activity.
- Carry a first aid kit and learn basic first aid.
- Bring sunscreen and/or bugspray depending on the season and weather.
- Keep pets on a leash and pick up after your pet.
- Research the area you are going to before you go and bring a map of the area with you.
- Wear sunglasses and/or a hat (can be helpful in the winter with the reflection of the sun in the snow!).
- Bring water and snacks (amount depending how strenuous the activity is, how long you will be out, weather conditions, etc.).
- Carry all trash out with you and dispose of properly.
- Wear hunter orange during hunting season.
- Check for ticks after returning home (spring – fall).
- Carry a cell phone in case of emergency.
ACD wishes you safe fun in the woods this winter! For more information on ACD and recreation opportunities including guided hikes, visit antrimcd.com, email email@example.com or call (231)533-8363.